Saturday, August 9, 2014

Single. Black. Female. Why Muriel Bowser's Win Motivated Me to Run


(Published April 4, 2014)

Black, Female Politicians in Arkansas
Born and raised in rural Arkansas, the only Black female public official I ever knew was Mrs. Elaine Sullivan, a member of the local school board. Mrs. Sullivan played a major role in my and my sisters' academic and social success. To this day she fights for students and encourages them to work diligently in and outside of the classroom, on and off the courts and fields. 

Those who know me know I love politics. And since taking Civics with Mrs. Helen Payne, the woman who inspired me to become a teacher, I've always found the topic and field amazing. Think about it. What other occupation gives people the power to regulate taxes and clean streets; renovate schools and increase the minimum wage? Politics and the power of politicians amazes me. And although it makes me sad to see some of them abusing or under utilizing their power, voting in a democratic society - like I did Tuesday - reminds me that I have the power to make a difference by either voting, speaking out against wrong doing or - more importantly - running for office. By running for office, I put myself in the position to be a change agent. 


Reality Check at the University of Arkansas
When I enrolled at the University of Arkansas and began to study U.S. Government and Arkansas Politics, I began learning about what running for office actually looks like.  I had it all planned out. I would attend college, study politics, become a high school Government teacher and run for office in my home state of Arkansas. I would lead my community and make a difference. No one could stop me because I was determined and I had the skills, expertise and support to be successful. How could I lose?

Unfortunately, soon after starting my Arkansas Politics course, I realized my state didn't have a rich history of electing women or people of color to congress or state-wide positions. Arkansas had elected 2 women to the U.S. Senate and I interned for one - Senator Blanche L. Lincoln - whom voters voted out of office in 2010 even after she out raised her opponent by millions. Sadly, Arkansas is the only state in the Old South that has yet to elect an African-American to a state-wide or national office. I was disappointed and somewhat discouraged but that didn't ruin my dream of running for office. I thought to myself, I can be the first! Or at the very least, I can help someone else become the first. 


But when Democratic candidate State Senator Joyce Elliot, an African-American high school English teacher of 20+ years and staunch supporter of so many great initiatives loss to an opponent who couldn't dare compete with her lifelong list of service, I didn't know how to feel about my chances of running and winning in my home state. I had written about Elliot and other Black Arkansan legislators in my Arkansas Politics class (to the disapproval of my advisor who said I'd never find enough data on Black State Legislators in Arkansas to write a full research paper). I wrote about her support of educational initiatives and about the significance of educators in political leadership positions. As one can imagine, I was hurt, confused and disappointed - again.        
                               

My New Journey in Washington, DC
Fast forward to today and I find myself living in Anacostia, the heart of Washington, DC in my opinion. Never ever have I felt more at home. I often attribute this to the fact that Anacostia is located in Ward 8 and 8 is my favorite number. It was my softball number as a young girl. My birthday's on the 8th and my sorority number is 8. Go figure. Anacostia is the type of place I always wanted to live in growing up but didn't know what it actually looked like or felt like in reality.  I moved to the area to teach high school government and history and ended up working in politics - big surprise. The past few years here have been nothing short of amazing. 
                             
                             


I love the work I do but always find myself thinking about if, when and how I'll ever become an elected official. I know I want to do great things for people and change the world somehow - but how? Can I win an election in DC if I'm not from here? I imagine myself knocking doors for support and people asking me where I'm from because of my strong, southern accent. Will they take me seriously? I then remember that Marion Barry is from Itta Bena, Mississippi and figure I'll be fine. I'm passionate about Ward 8 and voters will sense that I tell myself. But I'm not married. I don't have a husband or children. I can't even find a date here in DC - the worst city to find a spouse according to literally every poll out there. Thus, I often feel I'm not where I 'need' to be to run for office. I don't have it all together is what I thought until Tuesday happened. 


Gray vs. Bowser 2014
On Tuesday, the Democratic primary occurred in our nation's capital. The top two contenders were incumbent Ward 7 resident Vincent Gray and Ward 4 Councilwoman Muriel Bowser. 

On one hand, I remember when Gray visited Anacostia prior to even announcing his intention to run for Mayor. He was the Chair of the City Council at that time and was actually visiting a classroom at Anacostia! We couldn't beg a member of the council to visit our school during that time but there he was - entourage free - visiting the "worst" school in the city. He toured the school, every inch, promising to push the button on the remodeling efforts. My respect level skyrocketed in that very moment. And when the school began remodeling at the end of that year, I couldn't help but think that government could actually work when the people at the table cared to actually work.  

And then there was Councilwoman Muriel Bowser. She was the youngest candidate in the race. She was African-American and she was a SHE. One of my Team Bowser friends - and there were lots of them - told me I should vote for her simply because she was a Black woman. After schooling him on why that would never be my reason for voting for her, he actually understood and agreed with my logic. I did, however, explain to him that if I did choose to support her it would be because she was single, never married, without children and unafraid of anything that came her way. It would be because she faced adversity, injustice and inequities sternly but with a smile. She didn't allow people's comments, judgments or negativity toward her alter the way she ran her Ward or campaign. She didn't allow her past connection with Fenty effect the way she moved forward with her race and goals for the city. As a campaigner myself, I admitted that she ran a tight, professional ship. She had a campaign office on MLK and she literally didn't take any vote in Southeast for granted. "All 8 Wards" actually worked - it actually worked. She was what my twin sister, Trina, would call A Beast (no worries, it's a compliment). 


It's Possible and It's Time
So when Councilwoman Bowser became the Democratic nominee on Tuesday, I realized "IT" was possible. One can be a woman, African-American AND single (never married and without children) and still have a shot at becoming the leader of a major US city. Pretty interesting and inspiring. I recall one of my Team Bowser friends saying to me, "Why isn't it okay for a woman to deem herself a servant of her city. It is not okay to want to dedicate your life to serving others?" I replied, "You're right. There's nothing wrong with wanting to serve especially if it's your calling." I must admit, I'm seriously considering running for ANC now. I'm inspired and excited because despite the outcome, I can finally say I've taken on my life-long dream of running for office. "I can run. I can lead. I can make a difference." 


1 comment:

  1. Yes you can, Tina...and I am certain you WILL! I read your blog with extreme interest and know you are equipped with all the necessary background and, most importantly, VISION and PASSION to achieve your goal.

    ReplyDelete