Saturday, December 14, 2013

Remembering Sandy Hook's Vicki Soto

As a former teacher, I can't seem to let go of the idea that Victoria Soto did what so many teachers in our country and world would have done. She protected her children because she loved them. She gave her life for the young people she spent nearly every day of the week with. She didn't think twice and she followed her heart. At 27, she made a decision most 27 year-olds can't imagine making.

It is my sincere belief that teachers are some of the most amazing, selfless contributors in our society. We can never thank them enough for the countless hours they give to our nation's youth and the invaluable sacrifices they make to ensure the next generation is prepared to carry the torch. 




This blog was created to cover women in politics throughout the world but I couldn't help but take the time to write about a woman that I believe is not only a leader but a shero in every regard. An entire year has passed since the Sandy Hook tragedy. Like most people, I remember where I was when the news broke. I remember talking to my twin sister and both of us in tears. It is my hope that we never forget the lives lost and the work we must do to ensure this type of tragedy ceases to exist. 


Life's many circumstances will never be perfect but we owe it to children and teachers to ensure the place they call home so many days of the year is as safe, loving and welcoming as possible. Vicki, thank you for your service and commitment to your students. Your work, your service and your leadership has not and will not be forgotten. 


No comments:

Post a Comment